Wednesday 8 December 2010

This Is Musings of an Undiscovered Genius

So last Sunday I was going to put this as my Quote of the Week...

Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered - either by themselves or by others.


Mark Twain

And I thought that'd be great, since Mark Twain is usually quoted a lot and it mentions undiscovered geniuses and everything, but something made me read it again. And again. And again.

And now I've just realised that I need to change the name of this blog, even though I don't want to. Labelling myself as an Undiscovered Genius is automatically saying to myself 'Eleanor, you're fantastic and everything, but let's make sure no one else knows about it, OK?' And I don't want to do that. The name Musings of an Undiscovered Genius was incredibly easy for me to come up with when I first created this blog. I just thought 'OK, my blog needs a name... Musings of an Undiscovered Genius! Yes!' And I thought I was being kind of cocky and confident about the genius part, which I am (both cocky and confident and a genius) and the undiscovered part simply meant that... I'm not sure. I think it meant that I wasn't really well-known, (which seems incredibly superficial now that I'm fifteen and wiser) and that my potential still needed to be... discovered. Musings was created at a time in my life where I wasn't exactly bouncing around with happiness. And 'Musings of a...' has been used SO MUCH. Ugh.

But finding a new blog name is going to be really hard, and that's why I'm reluctant to change. And Music at Musings worked so well, it was simple and there was alliteration! But I NEED to change this name. And I'm so afraid I'm going to eventually pick a completely rubbish name that won't appeal to anybody (because something I've noticed about blogs is that the best blogs have rubbish names and the worst blogs have absolutely brilliant names) and I can't just call it Eleanor Surname because I'm still only fifteen. Safety and all that. Oh God.

I don't know whether to thank Twain or dance on his grave.

Oh, and this counts as a Quote of the Week.

4 comments:

Emma :) said...

How about Musings of something else... Musings of a....what keywords do you use to define yourself with? Like...writer, blogger, something...i dunno :D

Ken McGuire said...

Hey Eleanor,

Thought you might be interested in this - writing opportunity for the year with Devious Theatre...

http://devioustheatre.com/we-are-calling-for-young-writers-20101129

Eleanor Roscuro said...

Emma: Interesting... but I think that if I'm going to change any aspect of the title, I need to change all of it. The whole shebang.

Ken: Thanks for the tip, and I am interested! I've sent my bit in, fingers crossed...

Ken McGuire said...

Hey Eleanor,

Just in case, did you send it to info@devioustheatre.com? The mail and site was down for an hour or two on Sunday, just in case it didn't come through if you could resend it that'd be great.

K