Monday 19 April 2010

Dear Mary Coughlan...

I honestly have no idea why you are Minister for Education. I mean, when was the last time you went to school?...See, you can't remember. Exactly!

But the point of this letter is to complain about the Junior Certificate Gaeilge course, more specifically the poems. I like poetry. Well, not all of it: 'I wandered lonely as a cloud' doesn't exactly fill my heart with joy. But my copy of Fonn 3 contains this ridiculous excuse for a poem, translated from the Gaeilge:

The Ozone

I am the ozone
Here in the middle of the sky.
God made me long ago
To save you
From too much sun
And other ugly things.

I am telling you
To give care
To your neighbourhood,
To the world
Because you live there
And it depends on you.

Do not destroy anything
That you created
Take my advice
And you'll survive.
We will all survive
As we were meant to.

I'm not saying that I don't care about the environment, because I do. My family gets really annoyed with me about it sometimes. It's just a HORRIBLE poem. Perhaps if you improved the quality of your poems, students would be more enthusiastic about learning them? Because I don't know how I'm going to sit through this for the next couple of weeks...

Yours sincerely,

Eleanor Roscuro

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that really is an awful poem! You're tagged! Go to my blog to see what you have to do!

Indigo x

XxLadyBugxX said...

oh! my! god!! just done that in irish and i thought it was awful!!2nd yr higher level irish, huh! ugh i hav a major problem with the irish course too, and not just with the poems! ya ever do the story "an tAdh"!?? worst story ever! glad to find someone who feels the same as me!xxx

Eleanor Roscuro said...

An tAdh? That is awful! Glad you've found a sympathetic ear here!

Anonymous said...

Blog Award back :D

I love your blog :D

Oh and your tagged. read the post a few below. 100 things you love <3 :)

Its hassle I know but still :D

Lexi said...

heya i LOVE your blog and am def following it!!! could you maybe take a look at mine at http://mizzgorgeouz.blogspot.com

my friend also has a blog at http://blinglicious-randomawesomeness.blogspot.com she is also going to follow this!

Lexi said...

hey i cant find the place to follow!!!!